Tuesday, October 27, 2009

why judge disney?

Growing up I was a complete admirer of all of the Disney films, and honestly even after our discussion in class, I still am. I think that although Disney has characters that portray typical American beauties or heroes, that the movies they create do build a great structure for children’s imagination. When I Watched the Disney movies growing up, I would envy the princesses but I never once in my head thought of the movies as showing racism. I simply believe that the Disney movies, just like all other cartoon characters have a specific look just like a Disney mark. The princesses will all look similar because they are all the same of princesses,” Disney” princesses. I am sure if Dream Works created princesses they would all have similar animation too. Even after realizing that Disney movies do have their share of flaws, I do think that they are still great movies to show to children. They are all fairy tale endings, which is what kids like to imagine life will be like. Disney movies create a way for children to use their imaginations and help them spark creativity. As a child I never saw these movies in a negative light, I liked watching them for entertainment purposes and because they had happy endings. I think that the way we have criticized the Disney movies in our class is over analyzing how children view these films. Disney Land was a world of imagination to me. I knew it was not how the real world was, but when I went there I felt like dreams could come true. Overall I feel that these movies are safe for showing children and I anticipate the days that I will be re-watching the Disney movies with my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment