Tuesday, October 6, 2009

D and G fragrance ad

I was looking through the September Issue of Vogue and saw an advertisement I wanted to share with everyone. I haven't seen this advertisement not only in magazines but also at bus stops. It is a D and G fragrance advertisement. When I first saw this ad, to be honest, I really didn't think much of it. I was like oh wow more naked models, who cares, nothing new, but after our class discussion about what these ads are really trying to tell, I thought twice about this ad.
This ad represents sexuality, support to the gays and lesbians, variety, and boldness. I feel like this ad screams sexuality. Everyone is naked in this ad. I feel like it promotes this idea of being prideful in our own skin. None of the models are looking into the camera with a shy look. Everyone seems very confident and proud that they are able to expose themselves the way they are. It supports the gays and lesbians because the two female models in the front are touching each other. One is leaning back and one is leaning forward, it shows that they have each other's support. Also the male model in the back is in a very "girly" pose. I feel like this represents this gay pride. He is very proud of who he is and doesn't care about what people think, especially with that little smirk on his face. It represents variety because there are more than one kind of fragrance. As the viewer we can't tell what each model smells like but we can tell by their race and gender everyone is different, which implies they all smell different as well. Finally, it represents boldness. Like I mentioned before, none of the models look shy. They are bold and maybe even showing off. Like the female model in the back is tilting her head back, to me it tells me that she is relaxed and being flirting with the viewer.
All of these elements was probably something I would've never thought of. However, looking through the educated mind as a critic there are many underlying messages in an ad.

http://www.beautyblitz.com/uploadedImages/blogs/Test_Blog_2/DG-fragrance-anthology.jpg
link to the ad!

No comments:

Post a Comment