Thursday, October 29, 2009

Media's affect

After watching Dog Day Afternoon, I was so surprised to how much we are swayed by the media. Like I mentioned in class, I was stunned when the lady was more concerned about being interviewed than being part of an armed robbery. I think if I was in her position, I would be so scared and wouldn't want to talk to anyone. It just shows how powerful the media is to us. Everything revolves around the media, what we wear, what we say, what we do. I feel like we became to worship the media. I am definitely a victim but I feel like whenever we see a celebrity wearing a certain item it just looks so much better. We just want it that much more. I guess it's the human in us that wants something we can't get and others possession always looks better. For instance, I was at the department store with my brother getting a new game and a boy was begging his dad to buy him the new playstation console at the time. His father was so dumbfounded and didn't know why he had to buy his son the new playstation when they had one that looked almost the same at home, maybe just a little thinner. But his son was so persistent about it and was trying to come up all these reasons why he need to have it but I could tell he was running out of ideas after awhile, he just knew he needed to have it. I just feel like its amazing how just a 30 second tv commercial, an advertisement in a magazine, or even through product placement we are so convinced that the newest is the best and the fairly new is old. Another example is Apple. It reminds me of the time we had a conversation about Apple during class. It's amazing how we are so swayed to think that whatever Apple comes out with is needed and not an option. We don't realize it but it's funny how we think once you take a step back and look at ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment