Friday, October 16, 2009

TV on the Internet

The debate we had in class Wednesday, about narrowcasting versus broadcasting and which one could become obsolete, really got me thinking. I was never an avid, television watcher, I’ll flip through the channels while I eat my lunch but that’s probably the extent of me sitting on the couch and watching TV. One day over the summer, my friend introduced me to a delightful little website called HULU. I love and hate my friend for showing me this site because through it, I have fallen in love with many shows I didn’t even know about, at the cost of procrastination.

So here are my thoughts on the debate of narrowcasting versus broadcasting. It is in my own opinion, that with all these content streaming websites, HULU, Netflix, etc… it may be possible that those would be the media platforms that would take over. I don’t know about my fellow classmates, but I’m sure we all are deprived of some downtime here and there, and we can’t watch regularly scheduled programming at the time it comes on. So with HULU and other websites, this allows us to enjoy our favorite TV shows and movies whenever we want to. I could never make a schedule around my favorite program show times, so using these websites; I’ll be able to fit in my shows when I finally find some downtime. If the cable companies realize that their audience will have more freedom, and in that case, time to watch their shows, it could be a smart move to put their programming just on the internet. I don’t know if there will ever be a time without television, but in out society which demands instant gratification, what better way to distribute a show then through the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment