Thursday, October 22, 2009

Displaying Color

The Disney article we read for class touched on how Disney's messages effect children and influence their thoughts and behavior. Looking back on my own experiences with Disney movies I can see that it really did have a profound effect on my self esteem. Disney's movies bombarded me with a very particular notion of beauty that I just did not fit. When I watched Disney princess movies as a young girl it was difficult not to compare myself, a brown little tomboy with a head full of dark curly hair, with the dainty fair skinned princesses. But it wasn't just Disney. Dolls, cartoons, TV shows all featured cute white girls or women and it made me feel that to be anything but white just wasn't pretty.
I don't know if I would have felt any more secure if The Princess and the Frog had come out when I was a child, but for me it is too late for Disney to make up for their racist portrayals and glamorized white world. I know that I am already approaching this movie with bias, but seriously:



I have a hard time believing that Disney will ever understand how to portray people of color appropriately. Anyone else super offended by that hillbilly bug's accent? Jeesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment