Friday, October 2, 2009

Let's Bing It

Doesn’t everyone love those lazy Sundays the best when you sit on the couch in sweatpants, eat whatever you an scrounge up the refrigerator, and watch TV shows that have little meaning or purpose but are so addicting? I often fall victim to this, as Sundays are often the days I can be completely unproductive. Flipping through the channels one Sunday, I stop at the Rachel Zoe Project, a show about the life of a stylist and her staff, and get sucked in by Rachel saying, “I die” and “Joy…you’re shutting it down.” The constant stress of the cast, struggling to do fitting after fitting for celebrity clients makes nothing seems easy for a celebrity stylist.

After Rachel Zoe hears that they have to fit Anne Hathaway for her dress to wear to the Oscars, it seems like Rachel is going to need to be admitted into a psychiatric ward by the next segment of the show. But wait! What is this I see? Rachel is seen with her husband Rodger trying to figure out what to eat for dinner (wait, she eats?). All of a sudden, Rodger is heard saying, “You want sushi? Let’s Bing it!” Bing it? I could have easily changed the channel during this advertisement, but I’m intrigued, leading me to watch more. Rachel and Rodger don’t want to make a decision as to where to go to get sushi, but have no fear—Bing has decided where they should go for them. Of course, I know this has to be product placement and integration, but I must admit, this is actually a good tactic. As a Google supporter, I am often hesitant to go astray and use another search engine. However, this new search engine Bing makes searching for what you want so easy! As I lay on the couch, I decide to try it out, and to my surprise, it’s actually pretty cool.

Right after I see the Bing segment of the show, I realize that Bing is very clever in who they chose to act out their service. After constantly seeing Rachel Zoe in panic, it’s refreshing to see her calm for once, letting something else make decisions in her life for once. Could this make my life easier as well? I think Bing succeeded by the mere fact that that segment got me to go on their website and look around. Yet again, I fall victim to the world of product placement and integration within the media. However, that moment of being stress-free is short lived for Zoe as the show comes back on with her being even more stressed because Anne Hathaway now needs a second dress to wear to the Oscars. Have no fear, Rachel! Bing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment