Friday, October 30, 2009

Halloween and "Slutty" Costumes

I'm being a dominatrix for Halloween. My friend Will is going to be my "pet," as the girl in the bondage shop where we bought our costumes put it. We came up with it as a joke (obviously) but I hadn't really thought about the implications of my outfit, which is very revealing (tiny vinyl dress, fishnets, garter belt, etc).

Remember how in the movie "Mean Girls," Cady is told that in America, Halloween is just an excuse for girls to wear slutty outfits? This issue came up in class during our discussion about Foucault's theories of power, specifically how it ties into spectatorship and the gaze. I never thought of my Halloween costume as "slutty," mostly because I hate the word "slut" and think it's degrading and outdated. But it's true that the dominatrix gear turns me into an object, and because of that I would never wear it normally.

There's something about Halloween that makes it acceptable for women to wear what are deemed "slutty" outfits without fear of being branded a "slut." Halloween is a night for assuming alternative identities, for being something that we want to be, as opposed to what we are. But why are so many women eager to do this? Do we secretly crave the attention that comes with objectification?

I think we kind of do. I think there's a part of everyone that wants to be gazed at, to be admired in a purely physical way, and Halloween is so anything-goes that we can indulge this desire. I kind of wish I felt more uncomfortable about this, but I think it's okay if it's for one night. I'm going to wear my bondage gear with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment