Friday, October 23, 2009

It was surprising to see how inappropriate Disney really is. I guess I was really upset and disappointed about this whole business with Disney. I always had this image of Walt Disney as someone who cared about everyone. Who wanted everyone to have a equal time of fun and joy at his parks and so on and so forth. But after finding out that he was extremely racist and generally a bad person, it makes me think twice of Disney and its goals.
Every since I was little I loved Aladdin. I thought Jasmine was the prettiest princess out of all the princesses. I loved how she lived in this huge castle, had a pet tiger, and had a lover that loved her so much. However, I feel like as a young girl I never completely related to her because there was no resemblance between her and me, physically. It wasn't just Jasmine but all the other princesses. So I felt like I could never become a princess. I remember crying about it and screaming at my Dad asking him why I couldn't be a princess. As I look back, it looks stupid but at the time I think its something very degrading. I feel like this made me feel like I wasn't accepted Maybe that's why certain race aren't as bold as other races? Now, after learning and realizing the different layers of Disney, I feel like the little but blatant aspects makes the difference to really affect us, viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment