Friday, October 30, 2009

Fresh Prince Switch

Since I did not have cable when I was younger, I did not grow up off Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network rather I watched the sitcoms on regular cable channels. My favorite show from the 90's happened to be the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which I still love today. Most people know that the character Vivian changed actresses halfway during the shows run time, from Janet Hubert-Whitten to Daphne Reid. From our discussion on race this week I began to wonder about the switch and the choice of casting. Janet Hubert- Whitten did leave the show because she was pregent and had conflicts with the produces, but what I think is interesting is that the new Vivian they casted was significantly lighter skinned. You would think the produces would like to have the character look a close as possible to the original; however, it does not seem to be the case.
Until this week I was unaware that lighter skin on black people is also preferred within the black community. I think this may have played a role in the recasting of Aunt Viv on the Fresh Prince. Also, when I look at most of the characters on the show they are all pretty much light skinned, except the butler Geoffrey, which is also interesting that the "servant" is the only really dark skinned character. Will and the two sisters, Ashley and Hilary on the show are considered good looking, while Carlton, who is a little darker skinned is unable to get girls. It seems that the lightness of black skin is preferred and that the lightness of their skin may appeal to a white audience also, so the show can attract more viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment