Friday, October 23, 2009

The Ugly Side of Disney

I don't think I'll ever be able to not think of Disney article while watching any Disney movie. The hopeful dreams of a Prince Charming to whisk me off my feet, having a singing candlestick as my best friend, and living happily ever after, have been crushed forever. Despite the mild depression I suffered after reading this article, I am grateful for the knowledge I have gained from it. There are several pressing issues that we covered in class, racism and gender roles, but one that I would like to look into further is Disney's sidekicks and villains.
It is prevalent what Disney thinks of ugly people; you're either evil or stupid. It is only the unrealistically beautiful people who get to be the prince and princess. This is an issue that needs to be discussed because the children watching these films are very vulnerable to this critique. Any seven year old girl will ask, "Daddy, am I pretty?" And undoubtedly the father will respond with, "Of course." Talking from a girl's perspective, you get to an age where you realize that your family's opinion doesn't matter with how you look, it becomes your friends (and crushes too). So, with Disney telling us that ugly people amount to basically nothing, kids can grow up with serious disorders and fears about being a stupid, ugly person. If a child has low self-esteem and sees one of these films, they could encompass the personality of the villain or side kick and thing that that is all they will ever become. Disney films need to put a positive spin on average looking characters; the mold needs to be broken by possibly having a good looking sidekick, or a more typical hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment