Thursday, October 22, 2009

Disney Forever

After having our discussion in class regarding the many prejudices in Disney movies, I was astounded. All my life, I believed that absolutely nothing could be bad about a Disney movie. Disney movies represent my childhood, along with countless other people in the world. There is something magical about seeing pots and teacups come to life, and for animals capable of being your best friend, and even if I turn on a classic like Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast today, the same magical feelings come to life. To be honest, I do not remember ever noticing subliminal messages or messages of oppression toward certain groups like women and minorities, and I wonder, How many other kids don't remember seeing those same messages? After analyzing Giroux's article, I can say that he makes valid points, but not valid enough to discredit the history and impact that Disney movies have had generation after generation. Also, I believe that lessons on self-value that are overlooked in Disney movies should be reinforced at home. Understanding who one is and what they represent is something that shouldn't rely on Disney to teach to children. As I see it, Disney already does a good enough job at helping create an imagination and prolonging of innocence, which has more of an impact than the words out of the character's mouths that may not resonate with the viewer. Academic scholars may have some relevant points on the topic of why Disney movies may not be good for one's child, but Disney will always prevail.

1 comment: