Friday, October 30, 2009

"Media acceptance"

This week during class we focused on how the media was portrayed in “Dog Day Afternoon,” and related it to the significance that the media plays in the movie, and in our every day lives. A particular scene from the movie, that was shown in our class, was when Sal was upset that he was called a homosexual on the TV. It was a perfect example of how the media chooses the angle that they want to take on a story, regardless of whether the people in the story want them to take that angle. The media will label anything and anyone just to make a story seem more interesting. As I watched the scene I could see why Sal was so offended by just being labeled as a homosexual and not referred to as an actual person. The media is what influences stereotypes. It just labels people to evoke attention to stories. A movie I watched today made me really think about the hardships that homosexuals have to go through in our culture because of the media. When I was watching “Broke Back Mountain” today, I was reminded of how much controversy the movie caused when it was first released. The movie caused an uproar because of the “graphics” that were shown. I think that it is ridiculous that not all people are accepting of the gay community and will not watch a movie because of it. I hope that eventually our media will be able to influence the public in a good way, so that our culture awareness of the gay community is more widely accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment