Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Masculinity

Our discussion of masculinities and how they're presented in the media made me click on this article, "Do Young Men Need a New Kind of Masculinity?".  The piece discusses a new kind of young man, one who is progressive and even feminist, who resists traditional ideas that men have to be "emotionless dickbots," as the writer puts it. I have to say, the idea of a feminist man was one I hadn't thought about before. 

And honestly, I don't think I know any guys who proudly self-identify as "feminist," although I know plenty who care about equality and are sensitive to women's issues. The thing is, what kind of role models do these guys have? They're presented with few options in the media (think about the four types of masculinity exemplified by characters in The O.C). 

None of my male friends are overtly sexist. I've never felt like I was inferior or like they didn't take me seriously. But I don't think any of them would ever say they were feminists, because they've been taught that a real man can't be anything that's too closely associated with women. Their role models on TV and in the movies are strong, successful, don't show emotion, and always call the shots when it comes to relationships. 

I think this portrayal of the ideal man probably creates a lot of anxiety for guys - they're constantly trying to one-up each other in terms of masculinity. It must get kind of exhausting. I'm glad that men are starting to resist this and it makes me hopeful for a more equal future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment