Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I mentioned taboo in class today and now I want to apply it to today’s discussion on Hook’s article. I believe Natalie was getting at the point about women and their sexuality and, I suppose, the whole “If you’ve got it, flaunt it,” ideology. A woman who is proud of her body and proud of her sexuality is deemed a “slut” in our society. I think that there is nothing wrong with a woman wearing whatever she wants (even Lady GaGa if you twist my arm, because let’s face it, Katy Perry wore a leotard first).

But think about it, if you really do believe that “you’ve got it,” then whom are you really “flaunting it “for?

Frank used a great example in his presentation today, Beyonce’s (or Bob Fosse’s) “Single Ladies” music video. Putting together the images in the video and the lyrics of the song, it just did not add up. Why is Beyonce grinding up on an invisible guy if she’s celebrating being single? Also, it just seems that her lyrics Beyonce are saying that she is doing all her actions to get back at this supposed ex.

What made me realize this, was Hook’s example of Tina Turner. I love Tina Turner, “Proud Mary,” is one of my all time favorite songs (incase you were wondering), and when I first read about her in this article, I was mad at Hook. But I’ve definitely come to the realization Turner wasn’t actually trying to be a strong woman in charge of her life. She was fulfilling the image of the “wild woman” and proudly flaunted her body, “… as a potential weapon.”

So ladies, how can we fix this? Feminists will tell you to be proud of your sexuality and wear a leotard if that is what makes you happy. If you ask me, put on some damn pants because you don’t need to air grind in a leotard to say “I am woman hear me roar!”

No comments:

Post a Comment