Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The "Modern" Gay Couple.

Monday’s discussion got me thinking about one of my current favorite shows, Modern Family. And although I do believe it to be a progressive show about the new nuclear family, I feel that the gay couple on the show is depicted similarly to Will and Jack of Will and Grace. I have watched Modern Family since the first episode and I have yet to see the gay couple kiss each other.

When it comes to homosexuality, I can’t think of any progressive shows to date. I hope that, if the day comes for the first onscreen kiss between Phil and Mitchell, it is not some highly publicized event that the previews try to suck viewers in to see the action. I feel that for this show to be more progressive when it comes to homosexuality, it shouldn’t be publicized at all because, in my opinion, it takes away from the naturalness of the family being depicted.

Cameron and Mitchell are seen as two different, but at some times similar, men. Cameron is more on the effeminate, having an obsession of dressing his newly adopted daughter in all sorts of costumes, especially of 1960s/1970s divas, but he was a star linebacker on his college’s football team. Mitchell on the other hand seems to be much more reserved than Cameron but also enjoys pickling and scrapbooking.

What is most interesting to me is that at time, both Mitchell and Cameron make fun of being gay or condescend the other. Cameron told Mitchell that he, “Made figure skating sound even gayer.” Then when it came time for their adopted daughter’s first day of nursery school, Mitchell told Cameron to essentially tone down his “gayness,” so that they don’t seem too gay. I think until homosexuality is accepted by our society there will be no programming with a progressive frame of homosexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment