Thursday, November 19, 2009

Neil Patrick Harris as Barney

Neil Patrick Harris challenges the white heterosexual male stereotype, using it as the butt of every joke

Being a fan of "How I Met Your Mother," I've grown quite fond of Neil Patrick Harris. He intrigues me as an actor, because his character's sexual orientation is the exact opposite of what he is in real life. In the show he is depicted as an overly promiscuous pervert who has no real regard for women. In reality, he is actually an openly gay man (and proud of it).
He gets away with it, though. Both Neil Patrick Harris and his character Barney Stinson. I am referring to two things when I say that.
The first is the idea that Neil Patrick Harris, gay man, is portraying the white heterosexual male stereotype. I think he does it effectively, though I can't help but find traces of gayness in his antics. Like for example, I realized that the series actually gives him chances to express his sexual identity in not-so-subtle ways. In one scene, Ted "dares" him to cross-dress and pick up a lesbian, and he does so, clad in red lipstick and fishnet stockings. In another, Ted imagines an alternate world where he and Marshall are sexually involved, and we see Barney in bed with Marshall.
I respect Neil Patrick Harris as an actor. The fact that he can play something he is not and do it justice is commendable, and his openness about his gayness when he is NOT working is appreciated by the gay community. In one interview he actually debunks any rumors that he denies his sexuality, saying:
"Rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."

However, the other interpretation really bothers me. I think it's great to watch Neil in his interpretation of what it means to be straight (in fact, sometimes I think he is ridiculing the white heterosexual male and challenging the norm, because you can't help but laugh at how incredibly shallow Barney is). Perhaps he is drawing our attention to the ways in which the white heterosexual male is worth abhorring.
What I do really wish to point out, however, is the character of Barney Stenson, one entity, as forgivable.
Barney, who really is the epitome of SEXIST PIG, "gets away" with his mistreatment of girls. It frustrates me how the Barneys and Joeys make the act of sleeping with lots of girls COOL. In media, it establishes status, establishing the reputation of being DESIRED. And true enough, what is relayed in the media is implemented in reality.
But like I said, I think the fact that a gay man is portraying this character (he is by no means like that in real life) belittles the role of the white heterosexual man, and it comes off as taboo.
I think of the actors who do end up taking up the personas they play -- like maybe Matthew McConaughey or High Grant. (Obviously, I do not know these people, but I would assume that they are similar to the jackasses they play on TV. But I could be wrong.)
But there's something likeable about Neil Patrick Harris as a person, so even if his character ends up doing something absolutely sexist, I just see it as a joke. And that's somewhat comforting -- that maybe, Neil Patrick Harris redeems us females from the horrors of the white heterosexual man, in a way.
The more I think about it, the more I believe it. Barney has lots of famous quotes when he stresses on his "AWESOMENESS" and events involving manipulating girls "LEGENDARY." No one really takes him seriously, which somehow relegates the stereotype to an inferior position.

No comments:

Post a Comment