Monday, September 28, 2009

YouTube, Celebrities, and Politics

I’m an Internet surfer junkie, YouTube, Funny or Die, Stumble Upon, oh my! I love clicking and instantly being satisfied with humor, knowledge, or frustration because the browser won’t load quick enough. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is check my e-mail, Facebook, and CNN for the headlines (it’s almost like a religious obligation for me). These practices of mine have also been helpful, because I feel like I am getting different opinions about what is going on in the world now, especially here in the United States and our government.

Celebrities, I have found in my opinion, are using their fame in a positive manner and trying to inform the public of issues our nation faces today. Here are a few examples: Prop 8 - The Musical & Paris Knows Best

But there is one that really caught my attention, and many others based on the comments made on YouTube. Here you will see Will Ferrell and a few of his famous friends take a satirical standpoint on the health care debate. I found it funny, and typical Will Ferrell-esq; but once I scrolled down to see some of the comments, I was kind of shocked. It was a sea of complaints against the video, dismissing support of the actual message; being that, universal health care is the way to go. I’m not going to say my personal view on this subject, but I would think that the target audience of this video would write comments like, “LOL love Will Ferrell,” or, “dis video iz da bomb.” Instead I found comments with legitimate statistics to prove the video wrong. It is refreshing to me to see how informed people are; I can’t believe the power YouTube has as a legitimate forum these days. A website I usually use only for a few laughs, or to watch Britain’s Got Talent, has become a place where even politics can have the “most watched” video of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment