Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Those aren't cool enough

I'm a huge fan of celebrity fashion blogs. Many of these blogs provide the readers with what and who are wearing the newest "it" items, everything from handbags to T-shirts. I personally love going to these websites to see what my favorite celebrities are enjoying and buying. The blogs lets me live a part of my imaginary life. I guess it's kind of living vicariously through the celebrities lives, wishing I was in there position, wishing I was wearing those acid washed jeans by Jet and not the knockoffs I got at Urban Outfitters. I feel like many times because of what the media tells me and shows me I fall into this trap of desiring something that I would've totally disregarded before. For example, if a celebrity I admire and love didn't wear a specific brand name flip flops, I wouldn't have known those brand of flip flops even exist;however, because she did, now the ones I got from old navy doesn't look as good as the ones she is wearing around. It's ridiculous how the media and our culture molds me to think in a way that a pair of black flip flops can look so different because of who is or isn't wearing them. All of these thoughts I feel ties back to the idea we discussed during call about how the upper class decides where the "bar" stands. The set the taste of what's good and what's bad. Like the museums and the education, celebrities decide what's hot and what's not in the fashion industry today. And as a vulnerable and envious college student, I'll fall in love and wish I would be able to purchase those exact same looking black flip flops I could've bought at old navy for more then double the price and still feel like I haven't wasted a single penny. It's crazy how we want to deny this "bar" or standard of "good taste" and believe that we are following our own instincts and have an opinion about our own taste, but at the same time we fall for all these little details. Even with the knowledge of how the media is trying to shape us and mold us in a certain way, we still fall for it. And why did any one pick the upper class to decide what the "bar" was going to be like from the beginning? Why couldn't it be the middle class or the working class? Why can't we just let go of that mindset and throw away the standard that the upper class set for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment