Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What's the difference?

Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Ruehl are all own by the same company. If you walk into each one of these stores you will find one big difference and one big similarity. The one big difference is the price range of the clothing. Hollister's skinny jeans ranges from 40 to 50 dollars. Abercrombie and Fitch from 70 to 80 dollars. Lastly, Ruehl from 90 to 110 dollars. The one big similarity is all of their products look exactly the same; however, we, as consumers, believe buying a pair of skinny jeans at Abercrombie and Fitch is different from buying them at Hollister.
I personally like Abercrombie and Fitch out of the three brands. Why? Because I like their logo is the best, the little deer type thing. But I feel like I came to "like" the deer over the bird or the bulldog because of how Abercrombie and Fitch markets their brand to me. I feel like it's much more seen and advertised then the other two brands. For instance, when I drive into the city from Long Island, I always see this huge black and white billboard with a topless guy on it. Like we mentioned during class, everyone knows that, that's the Abercrombie and Fitch ad. However, do we all know what the Hollister or Ruehl ads look like? Do the company not care about the other two brands? I think it's more belong the lines are who comes to these stores and buy their products. In other words, I'm talking about our class system. Hollister is considered the cheapest out of the three and then Abercrombie and Fitch then Ruehl. Since our economy is based around the middle class, I feel like A and F is the one that's mostly advertised, because the middle class are the ones spending their money. The middle class is our consumer market today.
Lastly, I want to talk about our choice as consumers. I feel like individual choice is a very debatable topic. I know as a consumer I have a choice to go to Hollister vs. A and F, but do I really? Like I mentioned before, A and F has the most ads out there around us, so I feel like because I'm exposed to A and F the most I would eventually choose A and F over Hollister. Then was it really my choice to go into A and F over Hollister or was the companies plan all along. I mean from a consumers point of view, it would be better for me to go to Hollister because I can get the same product for a cheaper price, but through the ads and exposure to a specific brand, I feel like I get persuaded to think A and F is the "better" brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment