Monday, December 7, 2009

Fetus Ads

It's amazing how advertising companies relate life (fetus) to anything these days. Starting from the volvo commercial mentioned in class to the hard rock I am about to discuss. To be honest, I am not really sure why hard rock cafe chose this picture of a pregnant lady and the fetus's hands imprinted against the mother's belly, but it just caught my eye. It just reminded me about the conversation we had in class about how our body being a spectacle. It is interesting to see how much we don't care about our bodies being on display unless it isn't our body. As long as it is not mine and my families I am okay seeing other peoples body. I honestly didn't know the human exhibit bodies were Chinese people. For some reason when I saw the exhibit for the first time, I automatically thought that people consented and gave permission to use their body for the exhibition. I guess it's because if my body were to be on display like the way it is in the exhibit, I would expect someone to ask for my permission.

Quickly going back to the hard rock cafe ad, I think the imprint of the fetus represents how alive the cafe is. For instance, all the experience one gets by being at hard rock cafe is very lively and moving. And an experience one will never forget about. I mean if I was pregnant and had a moment where I saw my baby's hands pressed against my belly, I would be freaked out yet it would be one unforgettable moment. Also the pregnant woman represents that hard rock cafe is a family restaurant. It was a very interesting ad to look at and analyze.

No comments:

Post a Comment